If you're someone unfamiliar with the world of Tabletop, you likely do not know what the Spiel des Jahres is. The Spiel des Jahres is essentially THE award of board gaming. Since 1978, winners of the award are often times guaranteed board game immortality with a number of people often buying their game after finding out they've won the award. Past winners include Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Ticket To Ride, Camel Up, and Colt Express. That's a great list to be a part of considering a couple of those games are over a decade old and still selling very well!
This years nominees are as follows...
Spiel des Jahres 2016" nominees: (Game of the Year)
- Codenames by Vlaada Chvátil
- Imhotep by Phil Walker-Harding
- Karuba by Rüdiger Dorn
"Kennerspiel des Jahres 2016" nominees: (Games for experienced tabletop players, often more difficult)
- Isle of Skye by Alexander Pfister & Andreas Pelikan
- Pandemic Legacy – Season 1 by Matt Leacock & Rob Daviau
- T.I.M.E Stories by Manuel Rozoy
"Kinderspiel des Jahres 2016" nominees: (children's games)
- Leo Muss Zum Friseur (Leo) by Leo Colovini
- Mmm! by Reiner Knizia
- My First Stone Age by Marco Teubner
Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to play any of them, but I have heard good things about Isle of Skye and Pandemic Legacy! Anyone else played any of the games that made this year's list?