For the first time ever, the Call of Duty franchise will allow you the option to die and not respawn. Activision revealed via a blog their latest Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare features a permadeath mode for their campaign called "YOLO mode". I swear only Activision has the stone to put such a dated and douchey reference in a high profile game...
Stupid names aside, the game presents a difficulty like no other we've seen in the franchise. To unlock the mode players will first have to complete the campaign in "Specialist" mode which comes with the following trials...
- You can only heal with Nano Shots, there is no health regeneration in this mode.
- Helmets are your only protection from headshots. They will take permanent damage and will need to be replaced.
- Both Nano Shots and helmets take up equipment slots, so remember to equip them in your loadout on the Retribution before each level.
- Master the lean from behind cover mechanic, which will be critical for your survival. Approach the edge of cover while standing or crouching, and aim down sights when you see a chevron appear on the side of your crosshairs. You will auto-pop from behind cover as you ADS.
- If you get shot in the legs, it will impact your movement. If you get shot in either arm, it will impact your ability to use equipment or aim down sights. Note: Your weapon can be shot out of your hands.
Sounds pretty damn intense...and something I likely couldn't achieve. That said, it sounds like Activision is taking steps to heighten the campaign experience for the crowd who thinks they've let it take a back seat to multiplayer these past years. The game launches November 4th.